Combining hobbies to reach creative heights

Hello all,

All my life I have been fascinated by two things; movies and computers. I am currently 25 years old and am happy to say I have been able to include these two interesting topics into my daily life on a regular basis. Not only am I active as a software consultant, in my spare time I am also applying what I pick up at my job to my own interactive website about movies.

I have to say it feels really great to be able to combine two of my greatest hobbies in this manner, and I can recommend anyone to try to accomplish the same. Luckily it doesn't happen often, but when I'm for example not interested in programming for a while I can still work on the data for the website. Vice versa, I can optimize some underlying code when I don't feel like updating the list of upcoming movies or something similar.

I have been working on this project for almost a decade, although I only shared it with the world two years ago. Working on something for that long not only provides a steady basis to come back to regularly, it also allows me to try out different creative concepts. Whenever I discover an interesting new technique or idea, I can immediately apply it to this project that is always in my mind somewhere.

I can imagine some people experiencing such a long running project as limiting, but for me it works quite the opposite way. There is no golden rule that applies to everyone, but I do recommend to try and find several topics of interest to combine in a creative way. Perhaps you'll find something new and exciting to come back to now every now and then, who knows!


With kind regards,

Ramon van Dam
Schaijk, the Netherlands

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings