People

There is so much I'd like to say about urban, environmental, gender, and art history here. That's what I'm prone to do as a student of the Evergreen State College. With such complex problems and solutions in constant rotation, at constant attention, there is one thing I'd like to remind us all of: people are people regardless of anything.

There's a song that sums up what I think is a really important and simple idea that French author Simone de Beauvoir brought to life in her novel "The Mandarins," through a Sartre-esque character, which is that, beyond any outcome or decision, people will still inhabit the earth.

Please google the song "People" by Andrew Jackson Jihad (a clever historical name, considering his Native policies and ideas - - relevant to American moralism in relation to "terror").

Let me know what you think.

Even if you don't, what I want to say here is a (couple) line(s) from that song:

And people are people regardless of skin.
And people are people regardless of creed.
People are people regardless of gender
People are people regardless of anything...

And people are my religion because I believe in them
And people are my enemies, and people are my friends.
I have faith in my fellow man, and I only hope that he has faith in me.


Drew Schilson
Olympia, WA, USA

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings