Work as hard as everyone else

I worked as a caddie on a golf course during my teenage years. One morning I was working for Rappaport and Haas, two older gentleman that had retired and played golf together every morning. The three of us went through almost the entire round without saying more than a few words to one another. The silence was broken on the tee box of the 16th hole, a 180 yard par 3, while waiting for a group of ladies to finish up on the green. Haas said to me, "So Brian what are you studying in college?" as he swung his golf club lazily against the short grass. I replied, "Computer Science." Then Haas asked, "What do you want to do with your degree in Computer Science?" I answered, "I'm not really sure, but I know I want to be independently wealthy so I can play golf like you guys." Mr. Rappaport's ears perked, he turned, pulled the cigar from his mouth, and interjected, "If you want to be successful it's very simple: All you have to do is work as hard as everyone else, and then work harder." And I stood there in silence for he taught me as one having authority, and not as the scribes.


Brian Donohue
Brooklyn, NY

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings