Look Up

Look up my friend, look up to that night sky above you. Those stars you see, impossibly far from where you stand, are the same ones I see. Those stars, some have witnessed the birth of humanity, others burned out a millennium ago and all we see is an echo. Impossibly far away, yet impossibly close, I hope the vastness of the universe makes your troubles melt away and brings you back to another time, I know it brings me back. I see these stars over me, and I am comforted by that fact that the same stars shine over your head. One day, that may be the last connection we old friends have. It is a promise, a promise that as the years pass, we will never be completely alone. That we will always have this, a faded photo, a scribbled note, a memory of days gone by. A promise that us two weary travelers one day will meet again, and watch the stars together again, separated by neither mountain nor sea.

This is something that's been evolving for a year now. I wrote the second half last year for my girlfriend, this piece of writing will forever be hers. I wrote the first half after we broke up, then tonight I finished it off. Its one of my favorite things Ive ever written, short and sweet, it brings me right back to one cold night last year looking up at the stars with her.


Brendan Illis
New Jersey USA

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings