The Pursuit

As an American I've always believed in the pursuit of happiness, but happiness is difficult to define in this situation. Being "content" is increasingly my definition. I am entirely content in my life as it is in this chapter, I imagine this is what most people are looking for and hope they find it. This doesn't mean life is perfect, winning the lottery would be helpful, but I accept and love where I am.

I realized my luck during a regular walk through Central Park in NYC. There were so many memories there, where I fell in love with my husband, where we eloped before our crazy East meets West wedding in New Zealand, where I've enjoyed many a Saturday with a picnic and people watching. I came to this city at 18 and feel like I was raised by her and her people. I am grateful for the mistakes I was allowed to make in the general anonymity and the celebrations shared with complete strangers (go yanks!)

Of all of the lessons New York has taught me, I am grateful the walk in the park reminded me how lucky I am to live in this city, in relative good health and comfort, with a heart full of love and optimism. I am content. I am happy.

What is your definition of life's happiness?


Samantha Soh
New York, NY

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings