find what you love

Hello from Queensland, Australia! Right now it is a horrible 35 degrees (95 Fahrenheit) and I’m very jealous of all those in the Northern Hemisphere celebrating the beginning of winter.

It was about a year ago now since I joined The Listserve and I had just finished school, and was about to start my first year at University. I remember being terrified about my future, I was about to start a new stage of my life and yet I had no idea where I was headed. Now, after one year, I have a stronger view on what I want to do with my life, even though it’s completely different to what I had first thought! So hopefully, in 4 years time, I’ll be finished University and starting out as a Spanish Teacher. (If anyone reading this is from Spain, I plan to visit here in 2014, so if you have any ideas of places to visit I’d love to hear from you!)

I really want to be one of those teachers that a student remembers. Because even though high school for me wasn’t the greatest time, I can’t deny that I had some brilliant teachers. And I think what set them apart was that they really loved what they taught. My Ancient History teacher now teaches in Egypt, something he had always wanted to do. My English teacher had a great passion for good poetry and good wine (I’ve only recently found out this after running into her at the bottle-o). My Biology teacher was just so enthusiastic about marine life and how life works he would sometimes stand on the table to try and express this. My math’s teacher had a great enthusiasm for boats, and was ecstatic when he taught us nautical terms and equations. And so these certain teachers, even if I don’t remember everything they taught, did teach me to find my passion and use it well. So not only do I want to teach kids Spanish, I also want to teach them to never stop searching for that thing you love. And if you find it, make it your career, your life work. So in a way, my passion is teaching others, and teaching them that they can do anything that they set their mind to. And so can you, Listserve reader. It’s never too late to find that thing you love.

I want to leave you with one of my favourite pieces of poetry. The author is no one famous, but it is beautiful all the same.

I tried to forget

But you grew roots around my ribcage

And sprouted flowers

Just below my collarbones.

All day I pluck at their petals

But I have not yet ascertained

Whether you love me

Or not.

- Anna Peters


Ashlee
QLD, Australia

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings