It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Hello all. Since I'm relatively new to The Listserve, I certainly didn't expect to win the lottery so soon! It's a wonderful surprise. I must say I love the concept behind The Listserve- using technology to keep us connected across the world, despite locations, economic status, gender, race. I love getting Listserve messages because I feel like I'm getting to hear bits of wisdom from all kinds of different people who have had many years of experience on me. It's amazing.

My message is relatively short since I'm still somewhat new to this world myself. I'm graduating from the University of Arizona in May, and I'll be stepping out into the huge, unknown adult world. I'm planning on entering the field of museums, a pretty unpopular career choice among my peers. My parents tell me I'm gonna have to marry rich just to have a comfortable life, and my friends say I'm gonna end up being a teacher. But none of that matters to me. Museums might seem boring (I know my sister hated getting dragged to them) but they are vital to society and communal growth. Without a place to engage with history, we are doomed to repeat it. And most of human history shouldn't be repeated (in my humble opinion). So I urge you to go out to the local museum in your town or city and spend just an hour there- reading, listening, learning. It could surprise you how much fun you have.

I know that I'm going to leave this small city and join the broader community. I want to go out and make an impact on the world, and let me say that I am raring to go. I hope that this small message for posterity leaves you with a piqued interest in museums or even just history in a broader sense, whether it be human history or just your own personal history. There's always something to be learned from past experiences which will enrich our future paths.

My generation is known for the somewhat asinine phrase "YOLO" but if my generation is known for living life to the fullest, then so be it. I'm down with that. Good luck everybody, and I hope to see you all poking around your local museums one day.

You only live once.


Mariah Shevchuk

(I've included my email address in case anyone wants to share tips for graduate school or any interesting museums they know of. Thanks in advance, guys!)

Mariah Shevchuk
hairam812[AT]aol.com
Tucson, Arizona

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings