A little of this, a little of that.

On the last day of 2012, I turned 47. As I look back on my life, I'm sometimes amazed at how strange and interesting my journey has been. I joined the Air Force at 18, spent two years in England, came back to the U.S. and spent the remaining 8 years of my military career in northern Maine. I was involved in fundamentalist Christianity for nearly 15 years. I raised a family of six amazing children whom I love more than anything. I left the faith, divorced, and rebuilt my life from scratch. I've found amazing people who welcomed me into their lives. I spent a week in the desert at Burning Man. I've loved freely, and have been loved.

If I can indulge a bit, here a few principles that have helped enrich my life. Perhaps one or more will speak to you:
- I can't control the people around me. All I can do is control my own actions, words, and responses. Understand that everyone is on their own journey, and has their own reasons for their choices and actions. 
- Regularly escape my comfort zone. If I'm not challenging myself, I'm not growing. The universe is too big, wonderful, and full of amazing people for me to stand in the corner and watch it go by.
- Love more, and follow the campsite rule. Leave the people in your life better off than when you found them. (Nod to Dan Savage.)
- Enjoy art. Make art. Be art. 
- Safety Third.
- Don't give a crap about what other people think. Follow your joy.
- Life is short. Don't sacrifice joy in the present for worry about the future. Live in the moment that is now.

Thanks for reading! I'm looking forward to hearing from my fellow Listserve readers.


Brian Schantz
lastchance_000[AT]yahoo.com
Sacramento, California

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings