Surprised winner

Like many others who have gone before me, I was surprised to win the Listserve Lottery, and then puzzled and baffled. What would I write about that anyone would want to hear? I'm not a big fan of "rules to live by" or "what I've learned" kind of stories.

I am quite a bit older than many of you. I am sometimes technically-challenged when it comes modern devices, although I love my tablet and would give up my TV in a heartbeat rather than my computer. What interests me? I love books and music, and I live surrounded by them. Every room in my house has a book-case and they're all full. Regular culling, although painful, is a necessity. Although I own an E-reader, I just cannot adjust to using it. The feel, look and heft of a book means so much to me. If I go into someone's house and there are no books lying around, it feels sterile and empty. I couldn't imagine living there. I am always accepting recommendations for the next book.

The same goes for music. I have an MP3 player, and like the convenience, but to my mind one of the joys of opening up a new CD is the liner notes, the list of credits, the photos. I'm a music geek, as interested in the back-up musicians and producers as I am in the artist. I own hundreds of CDs that cover every genre from country music to classical, and look forward to my daily notices from Amazon about what's happening this week. When a new album comes out, I love to find the hidden gem that might otherwise never reach my ears. I thank the CBC every day for introducing me to new artists.

That's about all I can offer you in 600 words. There is one rule I would offer, in spite of what I said in my first paragraph: Trust your instincts. If something feels wrong, it almost assuredly is. This is much truer than its opposite. If something feels right, it isn't necessarily so. Think twice.


Joanne Seright
iamjoey_s[AT]hotmail.com
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings