How to be an Adult

I never thought I'd "win," but here I am! Hello everybody!

I was wondering what to say to 25,000 strangers, but I think I'll just talk about "How to be an Adult." I know, I'm only 25 (nearly 26), but I have experienced quite a bit of life (including the past 3 years working in South Korea).

Today, let's talk about how to walk the fine line between being your own person versus being under your parents.

I won't go into details, but my newly divorced parents are going through a rough time in light of a staggering revelation. I love my parents equally, but it's really hard to take when they are both throwing out terrible thoughts and untrue assumptions about the other. It is worsened by the fact that they both seem to come to me about it, when I am not under their care or protection anymore.

So how does one manage this difficult balance? 3 ways:

1.) By listening.

I just listen, and listen respectfully. There are things that they may need to say, and as hard as it is for me to hear it, it just needs to be said. The point is NOT TO HOLD ON TO THOSE WORDS.* Personally, I do this through my faith in Christ, but the principle holds true. As the saying goes, "in one ear and out the other." If I were to hold onto those things, it would absolutely destroy me, which is not fair.

2.) It's their problem, not yours.

I have my own life to live (of which I'm starting a new, terrifyingly exciting chapter), so I need to just let my parents deal with these things on their own. Of course it hurts me to see their hearts breaking, but I can't carry this for them. They're adults too, and while I love and respect them, in the end, it's THEIR ISSUE, NOT MINE.

3.) Pray

Pretty self explanatory. (Feel free to email me about that one.)

I'll end this heavy post with a lame joke:
so what did the acorn say when it grew up? "Geometry!" (Say it out loud, it will make sense.)

If you have any questions, feel free to email me. I also love snail mail, so if any of you want to be pen pals, also email me!

* caps for emphasis-not shouting.

DFTBA.


Laura
laura[AT]forgiant.com
Seoul, South Korea

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings