Leading up to Love

I was hoping I would win the Listserve at 25 when I have it all figured out. All the 25-year-olds are probably shaking their heads because they're waiting for 30 when they'll have it all figured out. Maybe we're all clueless. But maybe that's a good thing! Imagine a life so intricately planned out. Where's the fun in that?

I’m 23 years young and I have no sense of direction, whether it’s on the road or in life. I really don't care about being a legend or being remembered. I want to enjoy my life, do good, and be happy with the people I love. I live about 15 minutes away from Washington, D.C., working at a nonprofit where I couldn’t be happier. Part of the reason I think I'm so optimistic is because of my faith, Islam, and the whole whatever's-meant-to-happen-will-happen idea. I keep this in mind when I'm feeling down and you'd be surprised how quickly it shifts my perspective.

My family is a bit crazy, but it makes for interesting conversation. My mom is a red-headed white woman who grew up in DC, and my dad is a Pakistani brown man who came to the states in the 70's. I wear a hijab, or headscarf, and we as a family confuse and amuse people quite a bit…

Sometimes I even confuse myself. For the past year I’ve been jumping between wearing a traditionally-styled scarf and a stylish turban. Although I rock the turban, one of the main reasons I wear it is to avoid negative reactions from people who are a little less open-minded. It sucks because I don’t want to hide my religion, but I don’t want to be looked at as an outsider, either.

While I don't want to get into the implications of displaying my faith openly wherever I go, it's shaped who I am today. Some of it good, some of it I could do without. I'm overly-considerate. This may sound great, but I envy the people who do what they want regardless of what others might think. I'm very observant of others and I generally make decisions based off how I think others will react. I'm trying to slash stereotypes and change the face of Islam. It's what got me interested in filmmaking as a hobby.. the Muslim perspective is almost nonexistent. Sometimes I’m excited about the opportunity to represent Islam. Sometimes it’s too big of a responsibility to try and take on.

Ok, that's enough about me. Today I gave a ride home to my friend Michelle, who told me about how she met her husband and how deeply in love with him she still is. And the cool thing about it is that he's deeply in love with her too! She talked about something seemingly obvious, but often ignored... A relationship should have an equal amount of input. It can’t be one-sided. So make sure you're showering all the right people with your love.

Love is the most important thing in the world. Love the little things, like good food. Take it all in. Love yourself, love God if you can, love your family, love your partner. Make sure you're getting and giving a healthy dose of love.

S/o to my sister/bestfriend Samirah, my crazy brother Khalid, my friends Zaid and Sue Sue, who share my Listserve love, and Lina, who hopefully succeeded in helping me avoid looking like a fool with this email.

I give to: IRUSA
I rant at: PinkGingerale (BlogSpot)
I write for: Coming of Faith


Anisah Khan
anisahlistserve[AT]gmail.com
Washington, DC, USA

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings