I'm Listening

I know she’s frustrated. They say we should gradually surrender the things of our youth as we age but I can’t help but rail against that notion as I see her struggling to feed herself, to even say hello.

A relic of the past, she stares at me with wide eyes.

With so much wisdom and experience contained in one person, I ask the question I had been meaning to ask for a while now. She had been married to my Grandfather for over 50 years until he passed.

‘What’s the key to a successful marriage?’

Unable to name her brothers and sisters just a few moments before, I expect a confused, disjointed response.

She turns her attention to me with a hawk-like focus and steely states ‘Listen to each other. Always listen to each other.’

In a moment, like the conversation had never happened, she’s back wondering what’s for dinner that night.

I’m thankful I listened.
_____________________________________

In six months I’ll be walking down the aisle to my best friend.

If you’re married, engaged, in a relationship, or single, I would be more than honored to hear what you have to say about what you believe creates a successful marriage.

For our wedding, I will incorporate your advice at our wedding tables- featuring your first name and your location.

I’m grateful for your time and for your unique insight!

We look forward to hearing from you!

Kelsey + Kevin
themawwiageproject[AT]gmail.com
Washington D.C.

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings