Outside your comfort zone

Hello! I'm Danny, but most people call me by my full name, Danny Dang. I am not sure why, but people have always used my full name, and usually by emphasizing my last name.



My parents immigrated to Canada during the Vietnam War and were placed in Creston, BC. Here, I was born into a small town of less than 5,000 people. We moved to Cranbrook then to Vancouver where I have spent most of my life.


Growing up I was a pretty shy kid. I was terrified of speaking in front of people, or being in situations where I was the focus of attention (eg. presentations). It has taken some time, but I am happy to report that I have gotten over it. I comfortable talking to strangers, leading groups, and presenting on topics that I am passionate about.


I have been fortunate to work in the hospitality and tourism industry where I get a chance to meet and talk to so many different people from around the world. Having the 2010 Olympics hosted in Vancouver helped tremendously. For some reason, I have not traveled outside of North America before. My first trip overseas was at the end of 2014 where I went to Hong Kong and spent several weeks being immersed into the local culture and atmosphere. This trip opened my eyes and my desire to explore the world.


I love exploring the different neighbourhoods of cities and towns, that I end up going back several times. It is probably why I have not ventured out off this continent much (so much to see and eat!). 2015's goal is to see and experience more, which has me booked to go to Italy (Florence) at the end of May. Hoping to see some parts of France, Germany, and the UK as well.


I guess the point of this is to do something that takes you out of your comfort zone. Put down that smartphone and say hello to someone you're standing in line with! Travel somewhere new and try something different, especially the local cuisine. No need to look for that chain restaurant from back home.


You'll never know who you'll meet and the stories they will share!


Sincerely,


Danny Dang
danny[AT]dannydang.com
Vancouver, Canada

PS. Feel free to send me your favourite travel tips, places to visit, and eateries to try. I still have lots of traveling to do!

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings