I made us something, hope you like it.

The best words are generally actions, so when I got the "You've won!" yesterday I decided to make us all a present instead of a lecture. You can open it at thelistserves dot com.

Seriously. Check it out. It's for you.



But as long as I've got anoJSON! 559 words...

Why'd you make this?

---------------------

Because, man, what happened to the listserve? "What would you say to a million people?" That was the (super excellent) idea three years ago when it launched and popped up to ~20k subscribers. Since then ... since then I've gotten way too much fluffy life advice. And we're still at ~20k subscribers.

Occasionally there's some really good stuff on here (The Dark Room was neat, and the Summary of changes, and probably others I missed) and I want to discuss them with listserve people. But there's no way to do it. This present is a place where we can get together after an email comes out. Props to Simon Weber for encoding past emails as JSON!

Hmm OK yes but who are you

------------------------------------

Storytime? Here's mine. A couple years ago I knocked out my front teeth and got fired from my first job - completely unrelated, I swear - and started moving around a lot to different parts of the world, doing freelance code stuff. There's a lot out there that's awesome-as-in-awe-inspiring. I run, I climb, I play frisbee, I look back at myself with loathing every six months and wonder how somebody so profoundly stupid could have even drawn breath. Which is progress! Right?

Now I'm back in Boston where I run a totally baller co-op for freelancers (Unqualified, the co-op consultancy) & hack around on stuff like this. I'm putting together a workshop called the Lean Startup Machine in early May that teaches folks how to actually innovate, with testing and science instead of visions of sugarplums. It's gonna be fun. I'm heading to Istanbul, Prague, & Vienna next week - anything I should check out besides the obvious?

But wait, where's the deep meaning-of-life part?

-----------------------------------------

Well. I've written some of that stuff. My site is just my name followed by dot com, and you can read it there if you like, I'm not going to inflict it on you. You've suffered enough. (Though there is a story there where I almost castrate a dude, good stuff.) No, I'll turn the realness over to the pros:

"To whom will you compare me?

Or who is my equal?” says the Holy One.

Lift up your eyes and look to the heavens:

Who created all these?

He who brings out the starry host one by one

and calls forth each of them by name.

Because of his great power and mighty strength,

not one of them is missing.

Do you not know?

Have you not heard?

The Lord is the everlasting God,

the Creator of the ends of the earth.

He will not grow tired or weary,

and his understanding no one can fathom.

He gives strength to the weary

and increases the power of the weak.

Even youths grow tired and weary,

and young men stumble and fall;

but those who hope in the Lord

will renew their strength.

They will soar on wings like eagles;

they will run and not grow weary,

they will walk and not be faint."

- Isaiah 40:25-31, New International Version, courtesy of the one and only Kim Bonner

Take it easy out there, listservancers. See you online.


JP Bonner
jpslistserveemail[AT]gmail.com
Boston

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings