Through a forest wilderness

HOLY SHIT I WON THE LISTSERVE. I'll cut the crap, this is my story.

My life took a complete change for the better when I took matters into my own hands. I was always a bright kid and at the insistence of my parents I went to the university, put myself in debt, and got a BA in a field that I wasn't too crazy about, Psychology. Had it been up to me, I would've studied art.

After I graduated I was burnt out from school and I knew I didn't want to pursue Psychology any further. So I did what any other angsty, passionate twenty-something year old does and ran away into the wilderness. Yeah, actually, what I did was I picked up a seasonal job and spent the next five months living, working, and exploring in Yosemite National Park. To say it rejuvenated my spirit is a complete understatement, I not only had a national park as my playgrounds and backyard, I was in YOSEMITE. I was hiking, having a great time, and taking photographs of my adventures along the way and the scenic landscapes. I even made a small book for friends and family of my time there.

After my stint there was done, I knew there was no way I could return to the desert wasteland that is the Inland Empire, CA. My soul was on fire and needed to be stoked. So I followed the rest of the transients, packed up all my belongings in my car, and drove up the coast (a worthy endeavor everyone should try at least once), did my first solo camping expedition in Big Sur, and moved to Portland, OR. I met some of the kindest, greatest people I have ever met and some incredible friends I intend to keep for life (including the one who introduced me to the listserve, HI CASEY, LUV YEW!) as well as the love of my life, but that's a completely other heartwarming story. I loved Portland with my entire being, but after spending half a year in the wilderness I was restless for more than sleepy little Portland had to offer, no matter how good it was for me. The job market was awful and I was stuck working a job I hated, so at the insistence of a good friend I moved to Seattle not even having spent a full year in Portland.

I’ve been in Seattle now for six months and I’m pursuing my dream of photography. I’m mixing it up a bit though and combining my love of adventure, the great outdoors, and portrait photography to create some really badass wedding photography. At least, that’s the goal. I’ve been lucky enough that the community in Seattle is incredibly welcoming and I’ve reached out to some photographers whose work I admire and they’ve lent me a helping hand, I’m constantly humbled and grateful for this community and to have found something that I’m enjoying creating so very much. My goal is to become a destination photographer and use this as a means of traveling all over the world, experiencing new cultures and meeting wonderful people along the way.

There may be a lesson in this somewhere, but really this is just my path and how it’s turned out. I’m just starting out, it can only go up from here. I’m one of the lucky ones.

But my restless spirit can’t be tamed and I’m not too fond of the idea of spending another winter in the Northwest, guess I’m a California girl after all and need a little bit of sun. The question now is, where to next?


Best,

Marcela Garcia Pulido
shootme[AT]mgpulido.co
Seattle, WA

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings