Today was a good day

I don't believe in luck but sometimes the universe throws us a bone and balances life out. Today was one of those days. I woke up in a good mood only to have it momentarily crushed when I arrived to work and my Mac died. Two and a half years of work suddenly gone (well not technically, but you catch my drift). After finally giving up and letting it be, I check my email and found out I wont the listserve. I am never one to win lotteries, sweepstakes, or anything where luck is involved; clearly I was elated.

I thought that I would always know what to say if I ever did win. I probably had it all typed out and here I am looking at the screen trying to figure out what to say to 20K subscribers. Here's a little insight to my life currently:

The day before starting my second part-time job as a waitress (hey, Brokelyn is expensive), my boyfriend of four years and I broke up. It's a song and dance we've been doing since the beginning of our relationship but I have no hopes or desires to continue it again. I'm emotionally wiped out. The love I have for him will always be there, but I wouldn't mind it if I never had to see his face again. Everyone around me says I am dealing with it gracefully and I have to thank the universe for placing new people and opportunities in my life to keep my mind off things.

It's May, which doesn't mean much, unless you are a home seamstress. “Me-Made-May” is a month where we try our best to wear something we've made each day for the entire month. If you're curious as to what I've been making you can find me via ig search. I became a seamstress because at the age of 5 I always knew I wanted to be a designer. My parents called me stubborn but I like to think of it as determined. Not once in the next 25 years have I changed my mind. It’s pretty freaking amazing to take two dimensional pieces of fabric and fit them together like a puzzle to create wearable art. Most importantly, I became a seamstress because I didn't want to contribute to the cycle of fast fashion and the unfair wages and living conditions of clothing factory workers.

It's May, which doesn't mean much, unless you are counting down the days to the Movement Festival in Detroit. If you are reading this and are planning on going, message me. I always love meeting up with like-minded people.

Lastly, if you've made it this far... all life matters. Even the ones you think are not worth saving... even the ones who think their life is not worth saving. Sometimes the best way to show support and solidarity is to sit down, shut up, and listen. I don't have words of encouragement or life advice, I feel like every other email I've read included those... but tip your waitress/bartender when they’ve given you good service. The urban legend is true; we always remember you.

If you're in New York, reach out. I love getting to know new people.


Lola
listserve[AT]lovelola.com
@lovelolabk
Brooklyn, New York

Comments

Favorites

This is a puzzle.

21,612 is a lot

Tiny wings